SILENCE IS THE LANGUAGE OF GOD



“Silence is the language of God;

all else is poor translation.”

Rumi

 

Ever since I remember, I have been a shy, anxious and quiet ‘kid’. I said ‘kid’… because, that’s what I am, still…

I am still a shy, anxious and quiet ‘kid’!

And, the only reason I took to writing my private notes was to deal with my private ghosts… I felt relived after I expressed my feelings in words… I felt good about myself. Healed and empowered.  

Rumi says, ‘Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation.”

Every time I come across a  great  song, painting, composition, speech,  film, novel, a piece of architecture or design – even a lovely spread of food – whatever that man creates out of nowhere – yes, every time I behold it, I become only convinced, that everything has come from a quiet space…

In the beginning, there was nothing… It was quiet and dark everywhere… And God said, ‘Let there be light’ - and the Sun, the Moon and the Stars came. I haven’t quoted the words from the Book ‘Genesis’ verbatim… I have tried to give my own voice to the divine silence!

“When will you learn, that there isn’t a word for everything?” I hear Nicole Krauss screaming at me…

Yes Madam, there isn’t a word for ‘everything’ in life… There is only a boundless, profound silence… Forget encapsulating it in our words, we can’t even fathom its vastness, its depth!

“The Menu is not the meal, ” reminds Alan Watts…

Let’s read it again!

 



This morning, I was soaking in many of Neil Diamond’s songs. I stayed with their lyrics… I wondered how he gave those words his distinct touch… so divine, so haunting!

I also wondered: was the poet-singer, too, a  shy, anxious and quiet ‘kid’ like me?

He is not around to tell me if he was one…

But, I know, that it is simply not possible to visit that vastness, that depth… unless you are alone in that quiet space… which Rumi calls – ‘The language of God’!

 


 







 

 

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: pixabay

Videos: 1. Jack Lim    2. Vicki Smith  

             3. Belkin59    4. FullHDPro

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...