THE ROUTE WE CHOOSE TO COMMUNICATE













Talking to someone, whoever it is, with trust and confidence can be easily felt: my heart feels light… my mind feels free of the fog of judgment.

Who do I interact with on a daily basis? Who do I talk to, everyday?

Yes, my world revolves around my spouse, son, relatives and neighbors… my students and their parents, the auotowalas and  the shopkeepers… my staff and colleagues… the government or other officials… sometimes, advocates, doctors and accountants… the members of church or social circles... and, yes, strangers, here and there.

The quality of my conversation with any of these acquaintances can be quickly felt in my chest area, immediately after the conversation is over…

If my heart feels light and mind feels free of the fog of judgment, it is the clear indication that I have just concluded a conversation guided by my confident and trustful heart… and, my mind has chosen not to be judgmental, biased.

Conversely, if my heart feels heavy and mind is clouded, it is the definite sign that my conversation was guided by my heart which lacked confidence and trust… and, my mind was caught up in the web of prejudice and judgment.

A simple test, for a teacher like me, is, always, this. When a student needs to be corrected, I have a choice to go about the job in either of the two directions. If I become too preachy, impatient and critical, my heavy and restless chest will tell me which route I have chosen to tread by. On the other hand, if I remain firm, gentle, caring and trusting as I go about correcting the student, yes, my light and serene chest has something very pleasant for me, in store, to experience.



True. Our conversations – call them communication with others, if you wish – have a telling effect on our energy levels…



When our energy is drained, 

our zest takes a nosedive…
 

When our energy is high, 

out zest soars…



All this depends on the route we choose to talk, converse… communicate.



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Vimmi Batra






Comments

Nupur Bhandari said…
Wonderful writing, very motivating. Nupur
Sujata Sharma said…
Lovely writing, keep writinh...
... Sujata

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...