WHEN YOU MOVE BEYOND YOUR FEAR...

















After many years, this morning, I was reading the little-classic on inspiration by Spencer Johnson – ‘Who Moved My Cheese?’  I have read this book so many times before; but, one thing, invariably, has happened to me – and it has happened today, too – is this: I close the book and walk into a silence when I come across this writing-on-the-rock by little-fellow, Haw: “When you move beyond your fear, you feel free.”

In life, we not only resist change, but, we also fear it. We work so very hard, and for so, so long… that we can live well in the future – with a decent lifestyle, a sound financial security, good health, peace at home, stable relationships, love and care of our nearest ones. Yes, we all strive to build security and stability in life… and, then, we guard it so fiercely, that even a slight change would send scare through our hearts…

“No, why should I lose my money… my job… my health… my dearest one… my happiness?” we ask in denial…

Yes, like Haw and Hem in ‘Who Moved My cheese?’, we humans ask, invariably, the same question, angrily: “Who Moved My Cheese?”

The ‘Cheese’ is a great metaphor, here… It is what we all had worked for, so hard and so long… Our jobs, bank balance, property, name, fame and position, the relationships, health and happiness… Yes, all these attachments in life…

We had worked too hard to gain them… So, how can anyone take them away from us?

In the book, the two little mice – Sniff and Scurry, did not waste time in denial or anger. The day they did not find the cheese bits around the fridge, they just moved out of that Cheese Station… Out into the unknown world - there, to find cheese at a new Cheese Station… and, soon, they did find it. But, Haw and Hem – you and me – waited, reacted, blasted: “Who Moved My Cheese? Put it back in the fridge, and now!”

But, then, in humans, too, there are two kinds – the ‘Haws’ and the ‘Hems’.

The Haws, after spending some time in denial, decide to move out into the ‘Maze’ – the unknown, uncertain world outside - in search of new Cheese Stations… It is scary, yes. But, they realize that that’s the only way to go about life and feel strong and free…. They realize that in such a journey – along the search for new Cheese Stations –  they are able to gather fine wisdom…

Yes, the Haws chisel out those insights on the rocks, along their path… and, just move on… It is for the Hems who are still stuck, back at the empty Cheese Stations… Perhaps, they might realize their stupidity, soon, and walk out into the Maze as the Haws did…




Perhaps, the writing-on-the-rocks 

might be of help…


When I come to the rock that reads: “When you move beyond your fear, you feel free.”… Yes, when I reach here, I pause… walk into a deep silence…

I feel the freedom!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Vimmi Batra








Comments

Kushal Khanna said…
Oh that little classic!!! Thanks for making me go for it once again. ======Kushal
Miraj N, said…
Extremely inspiring! Miraj
Suma Jacob said…
Too good sir. Keep writing. Love you respect you always.
- Suma
Anonymous said…
Yes sir, fear is the spoilsport!

---- Ishta
Nina Shetty said…
My daily inspiration!..... Nina

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...