'WINTER AND SUMMER ARE BOTH NEEDED FOR GROWTH"






Most of my inner unrest comes from the fact that I resist the unpleasant experiences in my life. The moment the resistance stops and acceptance comes, along with that comes peace too.

Peace and resistance cannot live in the same living-room… Interestingly, peace doesn’t call for any ‘effort’… It only calls for ‘clarity… my ability, my readiness to ‘see’ what ‘is’… the reality, the truth…

That’s all what is called for peace… I can be in the midst of sorrow, hurt and pain… I can be surrounded by my tormentors and torments… even in such unpleasant state, peace – call it serenity, grace or silence – can just come home.

My inner turmoil, therefore, is directly proportionate to the resistance I throw out in my life… resistance to my every unpleasant experience… And the beauty lies right here: The moment I see the truth that my turmoil is coming from my resistance, I am freed from the chains of resistance… Silence just settles in!

It is a lifelong roller-coaster… very interesting, very mysterious and illusive, too…

I know it… still I don’t know it!

Often, someone has to remind us about what we already know… They may be simple truths about peaceful living which we already know… But, someone has to come to remind us… “Honey, that’s how it is!”

At 6, this morning, I was just back from my morning walk. My college buddy, Joe, who lives in Mangalore, had shared this good-morning message:


GRATEFULNESS

The moment one is capable of feeling grateful for both pain and pleasure without any distinction, without any choice, simply feeling grateful for whatsoever is given…

Because, if it is given by God, it must have reason in it…

We may like it, we may not like it, but it must be needed for our growth…

Winter and summer are both needed for growth…

Once this idea settles in the heart, then each moment of life is of gratitude.

Let this become your meditation and prayer: thank God every moment – for laughter, for tears, for everything…

Then, you will see a silence arising in your heart that you have not known before…

That is bliss.

Good morning…

Have a blissful day.


Gratitude in my life is not something Joe, my college buddy – who lives in my hometown - can teach me… Joe just flashed the truth… He just reminded me of something which I - and most of us – already knew…

“Thank God every moment – for laughter, for tears, for everything…”

Is it not a simple and gentle reminder for a peaceful day?


GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Chetna Shetty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...