MAKING A DIFFERENCE, QUIETLY

 



“If you cannot feed a hundred people, feed one.”

Mother Teresa

 

The idea of  making a difference in this world is a noble one. No doubt about it. So, when most of us have this desire in us to make a difference in this world, there should not be any surprise, too.

What should be surprising is this fact: Often, our idea of ‘making a difference’ is a ‘grand and glamorous’ one. In other words, it seems unfashionable to go about making small differences and quietly. That’s why, perhaps, every Pageant Queen – be it Miss Universe or Miss World – gets the loudest applause when she declares from the glittery stage – “The person who inspires me the most is Mother Teresa’!

“Where are all the Beauty Queens – Miss Universes and Miss Worlds?” I, often, wonder. They may have become rich and famous by becoming movie stars or whatever – but, none of them has ever walked the footsteps of the ‘Simple Saint from Calcutta’…

It’s tough to give with  my right hand and let left hand not know about it… It’s tough to be anonymous… A behind-the-scene person! We are a generation of ‘big numbers’ – promoes, optics, viewerships, virals, subscribers, tweets and re-tweets, trendings, trollings, followers – yes, this is our new-age vocabulary.



A couple of months ago, when a 15-year-old boy expressed his desire to become a ‘great’ guitarist, I asked him to spend a great deal of time on the guitar. I knew of another young man, who was passionate about playing the guitar. He had just started a YouTube channel to share some of his work. When I urged this 15-year-old to check it out on YouTube, he quickly did. His reaction was quick, too: “But, Sir, he has only 50 views!”

“How many do you expect whenever you start one?” I questioned.

“I want mine to go viral – 100-million views, at least.”

That’s how it is, when it comes to ‘making a difference in this world’, too… We all want to begin with a bang…  We want it bigger, louder… viral!

Each one of us has the capacity to make a difference in this world. Mercifully, most of us do make a difference. What may not happen is that ‘viral thing’…

Last evening, my friend Bharat* sent to my house a box of fresh, export-quality mangoes! Apparently, he gets every year a couple of boxes from one of his close friends who has a farm in Ratnagiri. This summer, Bharat remembered me and arranged to send a box (two dozen) to me quietly, and he surprised me. We are five at home, except my son, rest of us are diabetic. Do we need to finish the entire box? Or, can we, too, surprise, in return, by giving away, say, two or three  mangoes each to our maid servant and some friends or neighbours around us? Just asking.

A girl, who was too busy broadcasting her Leo Club Charity/Leadership programmes, hadn’t done her small assignments (given by me) consecutively three times. Yesterday, I teased her, “Honey, shouldn’t charity begin at home, and shouldn’t leadership begin with taking charge of one’s daily commitments?”

A group of my students had not bothered to acknowledge my Zoom invite, for many days. “Guys, am I supposed to teach you the basic courtesy of acknowledging my invites, too?” I asked, annoyed.

“Another 16-year-old, from another group, did acknowledge with ‘OK’.

I teased her, “Dear, only OK or OK Sir?”

“Sorry Sir,” came the immediate correction.

Beta, I just wanted to tell you, that there is a world of difference, now!” I informed her with a smiling emoji.




Why is this obsession in us to make a difference in this world with a bang and broadcast it, when it’s so much possible to touch lives in small ways and quietly?

Somewhere, someone has brainwashed us, that we should be loud to be heard, and glamorous to ne noticed… that, we should be a Mother Teresa or a Nelson Mandela to make a difference in this world…

I don’t have a friend who has a mango farm in Ratnagiri. But, I have a friend who has a friend with a mango farm in Ratnagiri. But, these things don’t make a difference at all, unless and until we all have a simple heart that believes in quietly giving – whatever we can!


  *Name changed


GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's: pixabay

Video: Naik Foundation

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...