SOMEONE PLEASE TELL US WHAT'S IMPORTANT

 



“Someone please tell us what is important,

because we no longer know.”

Richard Ford

 

A friend of mine, who is well-read and articulate, had been sending me posts highly critical of Mamta Banerjee and her TMC, Rahul Gandhi and his Congress and both the Communist parties…

He being my friend, and knowing how thick his skin was, I had only two ways to tell him, “Dost, not interested.” One, block him immediately. Two, make an attempt to change his ways…

The first would have saved my time. But, I wanted to save our friendship. So, I told him this:

“Hi Mitesh*, hope, all is well at your end… Jobs, studies, health are all safe. I went through the posts you have been sharing. But, honestly, with whatever little politics I played in my life, I had to lose a kidney to cancer… battle for each breath with Pulmonary Embolism. There is this silent fear inside me, that with all these co-morbidities, Covid can kill me anytime. God gave me a second chance, and, I really don’t want to abuse it playing more politics, and being ungrateful. So, let me spend whatever time left enjoying my every breath… Baaki maaro goli!”

“That’s very bad… You never ate well and drank like me. Look at me. I am fit as a fiddle!” I was expecting my friend to respond this way. As I said, we have been good friends. But, we see the world from two different lenses. His skin is very thick; mine is wafer-thin. He can argue and forget… I argue and sulk. So, when I know this reality, I think, what I said was right… Mamta, Modi, Rahul or Communists are not at all important to me… Each breath is… Each lease of life is!

My friend meant well for me. Therefore, he added this:

“Stay off the social media… Watch ‘The Crown’ on Netflix…Elizabeth will have a calming effect… A monarch who can’t do anything, she goes through her duties with a great calmness and propriety. It’s an award-winning serial . I try to practice her calmness in my office-interactions and miserably fail!!!”

Two things confused me in my friend’s well-meant advice: One, “Stay off the social media”… Two, “I try to practice calmness in my office-interactions and miserably fail”!




And, what was my friend doing while relentlessly sending those useless posts? And, why should I observe Elizabeth on Netflix while I am already on that job – of enjoying my every single breath?




We should not only stop reacting to things which are beyond our control, we should, also, learn to spend our time and energy – yes, every precious breath – on what is really important to us and our families…

Baaki maaro goli!

 

*Name changed


GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: 1. www.sciencefocus.com

          2. pixaby

Video: Dare to do Motivation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...