I NEED YOU LIKE A HEART NEEDS A BEAT

 



“In the end, we discover that to love and let go

can be the same thing.”

Jack Cornfield

 

Bill Gates and Melinda Gates have been my favourite people. I am sure, most of you will say the same thing. So, when I heard the news about their divorce, I felt really sad. This was their joint statement making their painful announcement:

 

“After a great deal of thought and a lot of work on our relationship, we have made the decision to end our marriage. Over the last 27 years of our marriage, we have raised three incredible children, and built a foundation that works all over the world to enable all people to lead a healthy, productive life. We continue to share a belief in that mission and will continue to work together at the foundation, but we no longer believe that we can grow together as a couple in this next phase of our lives.  We ask for space and privacy for our family as we begin to navigate this new life.”

Melinda Gates and Bill Gates

 

We need to pay attention to their appeal at the end of their joint statement:

“We ask for space and privacy for our family as we begin to navigate this new life.”

So, I will not make any more comment about Bill and Melinda in this Blog. They may be super-rich and super-philanthropists. But, let’s not forget the fact, that they, too, are simple human beings and a couple like the rest of us. So, what is private to you and me is private to them, too. We are no ones to judge them. May them find love and growth in their new phase of lives as they have sought to… After all, life doesn’t end with a divorce… Only a marriage does!




On 11th of this month, my wife and I will be completing thirty years of our marriage. Around the same time, my in-laws will be completing fifty-five years of their marriage. My mom, who is 85, has been a widow for nearly thirty-eight years… Some of my dear ones have ended their marriage with in months after they tied their knots… And,  some of my dearest people have never tied the knot at all!. So, I dare not make any comment about other people’s decisions in their lives. Happiness in life and a long-standing marriage need not be related. Sometimes, it seems wise to break apart in order to find love and growth in life. Sometimes, it seems wise to stick together in order to find love and growth. And, yes, sometimes, it seems wise to stay alone in order to find love and growth in life…

“Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.” When St. Augustine says this, is he referring to ‘Love in life’ or ‘Love in marriage’?

After thirty years, if I thump my chest and claim - ‘Happily married for thirty years’, I am sure, no married soul on earth would believe it. But, if I bow my head and say, ‘Thirty years of married life – and still working it out’, yes, perhaps, they may believe me…

I think, all that we do to stay long-married is to ‘work it out’… Constantly strive to love and let go, fight and forgive, to see our differences and learn to respect and celebrate them… 'To stand alone like the strings of a lute and stand apart like the pillars of a temple’ as Kahlil Gibran says, so beautifully…




Oh, that sacred space in togetherness!

Oh, that forbearance!

Lucky in marriage - we may not be.  But, lucky in life - we should be.

I think.

 

GERALD D’CUNHA 


Pic’s.: pixabay

 

Video: Romantic Nostalgia

Comments

Brinal said…
To each its own. we are no one to judge them. I too felt bad on reading about their divorce after so long years thinking that even richness couldn't keep them together. But I hope that they both find do their happiness and love in future.

btw Congratulations on your anniversary and wishing you many more to come.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Yes Brinal, we are not in a position to judge anyone. Glad you liked the post. Thanx for the advance wishes, too. Love

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...