GOING GREY, GLORIOUSLY




“The more you know who you are, and what you want,

the less you let things upset you.”

Stephanie Perkins

 

We find men and women, who let their hair grow from back to grey and, finally, to white, everywhere (I am not talking about Blonds). Some do it, because, that’s the only way they know to go about life. They are mostly poor folks, who are not touched by the ‘beauty lies’ of a cosmopolitan life. But, in the very cosmopolitans, we do come across some ‘evolved’ souls, who let their hair turn from black to grey to white, and say ‘Let it be’! They are least concerned about what the world thinks. Ironically, many, like me, have quietly admired and envied these men and women… ‘So graceful’… ‘So dignified’… ‘So classy’… yes, these have been some of my own feelings. I am sure, many of you may relate to it…

Well, before some may conclude, that people who colour their hair are sinners, liars or hypocrites, let me tell you this: they are not… I am not!

I wish to introduce, here, Usha, my friend from the US. Today, she shared this latest status of her on FB:



 

“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”

Dr. Seuss


I turned 50 a few months ago and decided, that it was time to embrace my natural hair. I wasn’t afraid; I was excited! I just chose to go grey cold turkey with a really short pixie-cut. I felt liberated from the tyranny of the beauty ideals I had been obeying for so long! Being myself, accepting myself, and not caring about other people’s opinions – that’s the true self I decided to embrace completely. I now surprise myself realizing I am not only not ashamed to have grey hair, I am happy and proud to sport this new look.

The reactions are now significantly more positive than negative to my greys. People stare, ask, comment and admire my decision to go natural. Most comments come from strangers, and I feel flattered and honoured to now know, that I have inspired or encouraged some women to go grey, as well.”

-       Usha Prasadh

 


                                     (Before 50: Usha and Rudi)

                 

Usha is my dear friend, and she knows well, that ‘letting white hair be’ is not an ultimate acceptance in life. She, like the rest of us, has seen umpteen situations in life, where she had to learn acceptance and stay in grace the very, very hard way. You see, in life, joy and peace are independent of the state of our hairs – black, grey, white, brown, blond, straight, curly, or completely bald. One who doesn’t know to live gracefully and gratefully – to him or her, the state of the hair makes no difference.

So, hide your greys or reveal them… It’s all the same. Usha – I know her very well – knows it, so well, too! It’s just that it took some courage to do it, and she thought she would share her feelings with us…

“May you live another 50-plus years, blessed with grace,” I had wished Usha, today. I had, also, sought her permission to share her story…




Hope, you find some value in it…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: 1. pixabay 2 & 3 Usha & her family

Video: USA Today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...