THE NEAREST HORSE...













Thomas Hobson, who lived in Cambridge during 1544-1631, owned about forty fine horses in his stable. He would give them on hire to his customers, mostly the students from Cambridge. 


Whenever a customer would approach Hobson, the first impression he got, by looking at the fine collection of horses, was that he had a fantastic choice. But, in reality, he had none!


Why was that?


Hobson was a hard-nose horse-lender. The only option he would offer to the customer would be: to take the horse nearest to the door. The customer had to take it or leave it. This one or none!


In other words, the customers had no choice. The choice was between what was offered to him by Hobson or none!

 
Down the years, this kind of choice – this kind of situation, the dilemma – has come to be known as ‘Hobson’s Choice’!






















Last night, a dear one praised me with these words: “Gerry, what I like the most about you is that you are never vindictive.” 

 
Oh! It was night time. Someone telling like this really would mean a lot to anyone!

 
Yes, I liked what I had heard!






I am never vindictive. 


I just can’t. I just don’t want to. 


Yes, even if you offer me 


a hundred fine options to choose from, 


I would still choose this nature of mine – 


this nearest horse of Hobson – 


and move out of the stable!




 
I just can’t keep a score card… of the hurts someone has caused on me. The small ones or big ones… the bruises or blood. I just can’t hold on to scars, just can’t be vengeful… I just don’t like to. Don’t want to. 


The horse nearest to the door was what Hobson’s stable offered… Whenever someone tries to hurt me, be unfair... tries to malign me, repeatedly, I choose what is nearest to my heart. I choose what would keep me in peace. And, from that perspective, I find in my stable no other horses but this one: BE BENEVOLENT!


This morning, I remembered my friend's compliment, and asked myself: “What might be the other nearest option?”


I could find only one: I had to be spiteful. Keep the score card… Go about my life settling scores… Go for the eye… Yes, an eye for an eye!


Peace has no option!


Hobson did not give options...


God, too, does not give options... if peace is dearest to my heart


The option is: either take it... or, leave it!




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Roopa Sushil





Comments

Suresh Jain said…
Absolutely brilliant! Keep it up, Gerry.

- Suresh Jain
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Suresh...

Love,

GERRY
Anonymous said…
Beautifully conveyed! Loved it.

Neeral
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Neeral...

love,

GERRY
Eashwar Gupta said…
Hobson's Choice - this old English phrase gets a new meaning in this post! Wonderful!

.. Eashwar
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Eashwar...

Love,

GERRY
sonal said…
a beautiful write up....an absolute realisation....keep inspiring....
thanks
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Sonal...

Love,

GERRY
Ronnie said…
I am happy I got to know this inspiring phrase. Thanx... Ronnie
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Ronnie...

Love,

GERRY
Shirley said…
beautifully written...
thanx sir to make us a part of your inspiring thoughts.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Shirley...

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...