BUT, ONLY SAY ONE WORD...


















I am surrounded with hundreds of books in my office. There are, in this library, inspirational books, biographies, auto-biographies, spiritual books, dictionaries and literature… and, some good fiction. These books are, definitely, meant for me, our members, students and well-wishers… For that matter, for anyone who wants to read. Just take it and read, if u like. Period. 


Now, I am intrigued by what some visitors ask me, “Gerry, have you read all these books?”


I smile and say, “No.”


Leave alone ‘all these books’… I have not read even a single book, at one go… even if the book is of the size of ‘Who Moved My Cheese?’ But, I have read many of them fully, in bits and pieces, over a period of time… and, I have read them – yes, same things - over and over again. There are many books, many authors… I simply go back to them… Sometimes, just a page, any page… sometimes, just a Para… and, sometimes, just the Introduction or the Preface or, even the Epilogue. 


So, I have not read all the books. I have read some books, over and over again… Just the way most of us listen to our favorite music, watch our favorite movies… or, chat with our favorite people in our lives. 


Books, for me, are like real good friends. I have that liberty and the comfort level of picking up the phone and opening my heart before some of my friends… And, in the same way, I do with some of the books. The feeling is the same… The joy is the same… The inspiration to live well is the same.


My friends cannot live my life. But, they can ignite in me the zest to live it well… They can re-kindle the hope, the meaning. When I read a page or a Para from my favorite book, I get the same spark…


I am a Christian. The Lent – the period of intense prayer, reflection and reconciliation is on. Jesus Christ is my Hero, an incredible force in my life. Still, if you ask me, “Gerry, have you read the full Bible?” my answer would be the same: “No.”


It means, I am not a true Christian… Should I believe so?


It means, I am not a Christ’s follower… Should I believe so?


Every time I attend a Mass in the church, at one point, I, invariably, go numb. Just before the Priest comes down from his altar, to offer us the Holy Communion – which, we Christians believe as the body and blood of Jesus Christ – we kneel down, close our eyes… and say this small prayer:





“Lord, I am not worthy


 that you should enter my soul…

 
 But only say the (one) word, 


and my soul will be healed.”
















  



One day, when Jesus was passing by a town, a Roman army-officer came to him in distress. His loyal servant was lying paralyzed at home in great pain. He wanted Jesus to have mercy on his servant and heal him. What make me numb are the words this, otherwise, strong Roman army-officer used to make that plea before the Master:


“Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my ‘roof’; but only say the word, and my ‘servant’ will be healed!” He continues, “For, I am a man of authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go’, and he goes, and to another, ‘Come’, and he comes, and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it."


The officer was a Roman. The Romans never believed in the God of Old Testament or His Prophets and Messiahs. So, when Jesus was moved by this man’s faith and humility, He turns to his followers and tells, “Truly I say to you, not even in Israel, have I found such faith.” He, then, turns to the Roman officer and declares, “Go; let it be done for you as you per your faith.”


And, the Holy Book says, the servant was healed, that very moment!(Mathew 8:5 – 10, 13)















Have I read all the books around me?


No!


Have I read the entire Bible?


No!


Do I believe in Christ?


Yes!




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.:Janardhan Narayan


Comments

Abniket Hegde said…
Gripping! Healing!

Thank you.

- Aniket
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Aniket...

Love,

GERRY
Anonymous said…
Very inspiring!

.. Vijay
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Vijay...

Love,

GERRY
ranjini.b said…
true sir ..books are our true companion 4entire life.. "we know we have read a good book we we turn into the last page and feel a little as if v have lost a friend"..
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Ranjini... U r right!

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...