GRACE OF THE MOLEHILLS


























I was reading Amitabh Bachchan’s blog last afternoon. Like me, he too is an avid Blogger…


I must’ve committed a 'crime' by saying – “Like me!!!”


It is like comparing a mouse with a Dinosaur… or, a molehill with the Mount Everest. So, before, I become a laughing stock, let me place myself where I belong: I too blog, the way the mighty Bachchan sir does!


And, if I say Amitabh Bachchan is a busy man, I would be an even bigger laughing stock!


Still, he blogs every day, for years on… He writes in the middle of the night… In the early hours of the day… in the middle of his busy afternoon schedule… whenever, wherever… But, he blogs, everyday, without fail. 


In one of his latest posts, he – may be for the billionth time in his life – recites a poem of his dad, Shri. Harivanshrai Bachchan. Yes, from the classic – ‘Madushala’. 


Amitabh Bachchan keeps saying – and over and over again – that he can not be even a shadow of his great father’s persona… To Amitabh, his late poet-father shall always be the Dinosaur, the Mount Everest. He keeps telling us that he has not achieved even a small fraction of what his father had… He won’t be able to ever reach where the great poet had!


Well, that’s Amitabh Bachchan… the Grace and humility at its vintage best!


So, I ask now: Could Shri Harivanshrai Bachchan, the great poet-father of Amitabh Bachchan, do what his great actor-son has?… Could he act the way his son has?… Could he host the KBC the way his son has?… Could he set ablaze the screen the way his son has?… Could he become this popular through the length and breadth of the globe?





Yes, in another school-book poem,


 when the mighty mountain 


mocks at the little squirrel saying,


 “Hey, you tiny one, 


can you carry a forest on you back 


the way I do?” 


the squirrel nails down the arrogant mountain 


with this one:


“And, you giant, 


can you break a nut the way I do?”











Last morning, I received from one of my dearest students, who now lives abroad, a touching compliment. I had taught her about thirty years ago… and, now, this student of mine was telling me that she knew me as a fine teacher… but, she had never imagined that I was a fine writer as well! “I wish I had half the abilities to write as you do!”… This was what she wrote yesterday.


I was, humanly, touched! I quickly wrote back:

“And, dear, I wish I could say what you are saying to me now with half the grace and humility with which you do!”


I meant every bit of that line!


To say someone such things, with all your heart – with reverence, humility and grace – you needed to be an Amitabh Bachchan!


The Dinosaurs have gone extinct… and, the Mount Everest won’t grow any taller, as they always say…



But, a humble, graceful soul can always grow... by just being so!




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Supriya Chavan


Comments

Manjula Nair said…
Too Good, sir!! Very inspiring!!

- Manjula
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Manjula...

Love,

GERRY
Vinigopal said…
Gerry Sir,

Like you, I too am a follower of Mr Bachchan's blog. I am amazed at the ease, sensitivity and depth with which he writes. His humility is very touching. You too write beautifully and i like the way you take everyday matters and turn them into insightful messages. I wish i too can discipline myself like you and Mr B.
Love,
Vinita
Gerald D'Cunha said…
So, Vinita, I am ready with my tmro's subject: "Vini's compliment!"... Well, just joking!

Thanks a ton for nice words... They mean a lot, Vini.

Now, again I say: U all are - we all are - gifted to do some things in our own special way... The key is to find it out, trust... and, keep doing it!

Hope, that's how it is, always...

Best wishes and love,

GERRY
Kunal Dhir said…
What a lovely inspirational post! Truly, hitting!

Kunal
Anonymous said…
Thanks a lot Gerry for this amazing article!!!

.. Arpana
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Kunal...

Love,

GERRY
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Arpana...

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...