THE INVISIBLE INGREDIENT




















On a hot summer noon, if you offer me a choice: “Pepsi or Coke?”, I would say, “Coke, anytime.”


Now, you may shout, “Pepsi. Only Pepsi.”


Well, before you get it wrong, let me clarify, here itself… that, I am not trying to promote Coke in my blog. Certainly, Coca-Cola Company doesn’t need my favour in this respect. I love Coke, because, I love the Coke stories… The legends of Coca-Cola!


One of the legends around this drink is still alive: The secret formula. That, nobody knows what goes into making it other than the Coca leaves and the Kola nuts… No one knows what is that ‘magic something’ they add to taste it so romantic… 


I was very small when I had first heard about this folklore. The mystery had captivated my imagination… and, ever since then, I had loved this drink just because I had loved the mystery, the secret, the suspense…


“What is that ‘secret something’ they add to create the magic of Coca-Cola?” “What is the invisible Ingredient?”


The funniest part of this legend is: even if you come with your authentic answer, I will not buy it! 


I want the mystery to remain always so – a mystery!


Please, for my childhood’s sake, don’t take away the legend out my stories. Let Coke be. 
























One of the simple delights in my life is visiting my friend Manjeet’s house. I love simple food and his wife prepares some amazing food. Yes, simple food! No grills, no frills. And, of course, no bills!


Yesterday morning, I was there. First came this unusual snack for the morning: the brown chana salad! Chana boiled just right, onions and tomatoes chopped just fine, salt and red chilly-powder just right… lime to taste. Steaming-hot, served in your simple steel quarter-plate. With a simple steel-spoon.


Then came something irresistible: hot Mooli (Radish) Parathas, just right in thickness and size… Just right in taste, with a mild touch of desi ghee. Served with home-made curds (Yoghurt). Two of them were too much! And, they served them on their simple steel half-plates!


Big deal, isn’t it?


Yes, in deed, it is a big deal for me!


I would go home and tell about it… I would stand before my students and rave about it… I would even mount myself on crowded naka and blow the trumpet! And, yes, I am already harping upon it, here, in this blog!


Not a big deal, dear. Just some boiled brown-chana, two mooli parathas and some home-made curds. Simple plates, simple food and simple people. 


I remembered the legend of Coca-Cola. I don’t want the mystery and the magic of – “No one knows the secret” – to die… I want the Coke to be!


A thousand cookery shows on TV. Both men and women host them. Best of the best Chefs come and show you how to prepare the finest snacks and meals. There are travel shows and they take you around the remote villages and exotic places just to show why some food is so raved about. 





But, the greatest chefs in the world 


will always be our moms. 


Our simple moms. 


That’s why the greatest recipe 


shall always be the ‘Mother’s recipe’!




Now, write down the secret: two fists of black chana boiled just right; a medium-sized tomato and onion finely chopped; just a little red chilly powder or chaat masala as you wish, salt to taste and a tinch of lime juice… Serve it hot on your simple steel-quarter-plates or small steel-bowls, along with a spoon…


And, mix it well with that legendary ‘something’ – the million-dollar mystery: Loads of LOVE!




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics. Hariprasad










 “

Comments

ZEENA said…
Wow! Great. Simply great! - Zeena
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Zeena.

Love,

GERRY
Milinda said…
Mothers! Mothers! Mothers!
Long live Mothers!

Thanks Gerry for this amazing post.

.. Milinda
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Milinda... yes, Mothers, Mothers, Mothers!

Love,

GERRY
Vandana Mitra said…
Yes sir, Love is the finest ingredient! Brilliantly told. touched me... Vandana
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Vandana'

Love,

GERRY
Kripa said…
Enjoyed reading sir...Thank you. - Kripa
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank Kripa,

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...