THE BIRD IN MY HAND





















An old story, often, comes back to my mind with a new meaning. Since last evening, this old fable - which, probably, I had first heard when I was a little kid - has been coming before me. 


There must be a reason… There must be a new meaning to derive.


Once, there lived a wise-man in a small town. He had this unique gift of reading others’ minds… He could solve mysteries and foretell the future. People from different parts of land would come to see him, seek his help. However, this wise-man had remained always very humble and compassionate… He had never misused his fame or power. 


In the same village, there also lived an arrogant young-man, quite notorious for playing tricks on people in order to prove them wrong. He had been very jealous of this wise-man’s popularity and was waiting for an occasion to ‘expose’ him in public. 


That day had, now, come. 


One afternoon, many people had gathered around this wise-man; and, as usual, his audience was left amazed at the uncanny powers of this Master. The young man had come with a trap. He had hidden his hands behind him. He had cupped in his palms a tiny bird. He was sure, that the Master could, in no way, make out what he was hiding in his palms. And, even if he could, the young man would challenge the Master to tell if the bird in hand was alive or dead. If the wise-man said, “Alive,” the young man would instantly crush the tiny bird to death and prove the man was wrong. On the other hand, if he said, “Dead,” the live bird would be quickly unveiled to the audience to expose what a Fraud he was! And, that would be the wise-man’s end! The young man was too confident!


So, in the midst of the discussion, the young man shouted, “Master, all these people believe that you are a wise-man and can solve any mystery. If so, can you please tell these people what I am holding in my hands?”


“A little bird, my dear friend,” the wise-man replied with a smile on his face. 


“Is it alive or dead?” was the next logical question.


“Well, my dear young man,” the calm and smiling wise-man said, “whether the bird is alive or dead is in your hands.”

 

Obviously, the moral of the story is: Like that tiny bird, our Life is what we make of it. We hold, in our hands, the keys to our happiness, success and future. Whether we want a bright future or a gloomy one… whether we want a great day or a depressing one, whether we want our relationships to flourish or collapse, whether we want our miseries to stay or go… Yes, the ‘choice’ – the key – is always in our hands. 


Many, many years ago, when I was a very young man, I would go around humming poet Shelley’s lines:


“Man is the master of his fate…
And captain of his soul.”


I knew, what kind of life I must lead, was left to me… to my own hands.





Then, there would be some, 


always, reminding me, 


“Don’t be too arrogant… 


There is a Captain up above… 


Your Fate is in His hands!”

 


It took some years, and many set-backs, to teach me never ever to place ‘My Will’ before ‘His Will’. 


However, the problem was – and still is – this: How am I supposed to know God’s Will… God’s plan for me?


So, I would always find solace in another line of wisdom which we all kids had heard:


“God helps those… who help themselves.”



God doesn’t, normally, interfere in my Will… Unless I am too arrogant, too destructive in my mind-set.






















Last evening, I suddenly found myself trying to change a person’s views. This person was wrong… and, his views and the behavior were affecting my well-being. So, I was trying to convey my feelings to this person… with the hope that he would understand my situation… That he would change… That, I would be fine, after that!


The more I expressed my feelings, my need, I only saw myself left more hurt and bleeding!


Then, in the midst of this helplessness, I shouted in my mind:

“Friend, the bird is in your hands… and, you decide how you want it to be.”


I quit the battle ground, immediately.


If it is my well-being, why should I allow this person to hold the keys for it?




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.:Suhas Lokhande

Comments

Rizvan said…
Yes sir. our life is our look-out!

Well conveyed... Loved the connection.

Thanks,

- Rizvan
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Rizvan... Glad, u liked the post.

Do read often.

Love,

GERRY
Anonymous said…
Nice story. Old is gold. Enjoyed.

... Rimmi
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Rimmi. Do read and comment often.

Love,

GERRY
AJAY NAIR said…
Hey Gerry, lovely post. and great pics from God's Own Land! Yes, my land!

- Ajay Nair
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Ajay... God's own land is really beautiful!

Keep reading, often,

Love,

GERRY
ranjini.b said…
true some people dont change even if the change is for better.. no use persuading dem r trying2 reason with dem.. dey shld b left2 God2 b taught a lesson n 4given..
d bird is in our hand..

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...