NO ONE CAN TEACH YOU...














Some years ago, I had come across this line in one of OSHO’s books:


“No one can teach you… Still, you can learn from anyone.”


When I first read this line, it did not strike me hard. But, when I read it again, and in quietness of my heart, I realized how profound it was!


To learn from someone or not to… To learn something or not to… is always my call, my prerogative. It is one of the most important ‘proactive’ things I do for myself, along the path of my personal growth. 


It is, always, about my growth… and, it is, always, my call, my decisions, and my self-care. And, I am not being selfish… when I say this.


Last afternoon, Avinash, one of my old acquaintances, wrote to me on FB:
 
“… Sir, though you have not taught me personally, I have always learnt from you a lot.”


This is such an honest confession. It immediately reminded me of what OSHO had said in his book:

“No one can teach you... Still, you can learn from any one!”


I knew Avinash as an acquaintance. His wife was my student. His neighbors were my students. His friends were my students. But, he had never been to my ‘class room’ to learn… Yet, he says that he has learnt from me a lot!


I wrote back to him saying that I felt a lot humbled… 


I was sincere when I did my confession!





Our life is surrounded with teachers… 


millions of them. 


People who are kind to us or unkind, 


people who help us or harm...


 experiences which make us joyful or sad, 


hopeful or anxious.   


It is our openness, our readiness,


 that connects us 


to some of these teachers…


 
Yes, as the old saying goes:

“The teacher appears when student is ready!”


So, when my friend said that after two decades, yesterday, I only began to ask this: Do I remain ‘open’… ‘ready’… ‘teachable’?


And, I also asked myself this:


“Do I say to my ‘teachers’ – my friends and enemies, my good times and bad ones - what Avinash had said:
 
“… Sir, though you have not taught me personally, I have always learnt from you a lot.”?





GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Hemangi D'Cunha

Comments

Avinash Mantri said…
Just read it sir. Touched... speechless and numbed with ur words... Continue to remain ur 'student', gladly!

- Avinash
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Avinash... I owe this posst to u!

Love,

GERRY
Varun Kant said…
Great post sir! Loved it.

... Varun
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank Varun..

Love,

GERRY
sonal said…
oh, it gives me such a humble feeling after reading this..As a teacher we try our best to instinct good values and knowledge in children...but i have realised that this has become a struggle...only today i was dejected with myself...with my students...for whatever the reason be...but after reading this..The teacher appears when student is ready"..my sadness has some what vanished..it has given me an answer to my unasked question..thks
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Sonal... yes, it is so humbling for all of us. Be a teacher, keep doing the good work...

love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...